What is Hatha Yoga?
Hatha Yoga is often thought of as the asanas (postures) that are commonly known as “yoga” throughout the world. Others know Hatha Yoga as a series of cleansing practices. Both these understandings are part of Hatha Yoga, but there is much more to this branch of yoga.
This course gives a solid foundation and lived experience of the essence of Hatha Yoga and access to a series of essential yoga tools for living.
Chap 1 verse 64 Hatha Yoga Pradipika
Dimensions of Yoga: Hatha Yoga
12 weeks of home practice and study
10-15 hrs a week
Next intake begins 28 January 2022
- Hatha Yoga explained clearly, with immersion in practice
- Hatha yoga to clear, balance and refine energy, for enhanced quality of life
- Traditional yet relevant for the challenging world in which we live
- Structured around the seven attainments or sadhanas from Gheranda Samhita, a traditional text with much poetic insight into the overall goals of Hatha Yoga and how to reach them
- The seven sadhanas are purification, firmness, stillness, patience, lightness, acceptance and non-entanglement
- Essential Hatha Yoga practices such as asana, pranayama, shatkarma, mudra and a Hatha Yoga approach to meditation
- Systematic and incremental over 12 weeks
- Close investigation of Gheranda Samhita and Hatha Yoga Pradipika
- Key concepts related to Hatha Yoga, including nadis, chakras, prana, and koshas
- 3 classes (with option of 5) practical classes live on zoom each week, plus audio and video recordings to access in your own time
- Live lectures (also recorded for flexible viewing)
- Weekly tutorials (option of two times)
- Complete learning website with home practice support and resources
- Weekly verses for reflection from Gherand Samhita and/or Hatha Yoga Pradipika, with a related task to explore in daily life
- Ongoing email, text and phone support from experienced teachers throughout the length of the course
- The main review tasks are a reflective diary, the development of a personal sadhana, and participation in tutorials and practical classes
- Flexible options with live and/or recorded access to materials
- 10-15 hours per week
A Clear straightforward approach
Although the classic texts such as Gheranda Samhita and Hatha Yoga Pradipika go very deep into advanced practices, the themes and practices in this course are approached simply, and explained clearly in ways that are accessible for most potential participants.
Essential Hatha Yoga
practices and concepts
As well as a close investigation of Gheranda Samhita and Hatha Yoga Pradipika, key concepts related to Hatha Yoga, including nadis, chakras, prana, and koshas, will be investigated in a practical way as tools for experiencing, balancing and enhancing the energetic aspects of living.
- After completing this course you will have a toolkit to take with you throughout your yogic life.
- There will be an emphasis on why hatha yoga is an essential set of tools for any serious yoga practitioner.
- Everything is viewed through the prism of developing and perfecting a regular personal practice (sadhana)
- Hatha Yoga is presented as a systematic progression, working with body, breath, energy and mind, building an understanding of how this branch of yoga can be used to manage a full range of life situations, and be a foundation for all other branches of yoga.