What is Hatha Yoga?
Hatha Yoga is often thought of as the asanas (postures) that are commonly known as “yoga” throughout the world. Others know Hatha Yoga as a series of cleansing practices. Both these understandings are part of Hatha Yoga, but there is much more to this branch of yoga.
This course gives a solid foundation and lived experience of the essence of Hatha Yoga and access to a series of essential yoga tools for living.
Chap 1 verse 64 Hatha Yoga Pradipika,
commentary by Swami Muktibodhananda
Dimensions of Yoga: Hatha Yoga
14 weeks of home practice and study
10-15 hrs a week
Next intake begins 29 January 2021
All sessions are conducted online with a dynamic mix of live classes, tutorials and lectures, along with recordings, a website and full manual with resources. You are able to learn at your own pace and timezone.
Benefit from shared learning with flexibility and highly experienced teachers. Bring yoga into your home on this feature and tradition rich journey.
There is no longer a residential component in this course. All aspects covered in the original are covered comprehensively and systematically in this new 2021 format.
The Dimensions of Yoga: Hatha Yoga Sadhana course is structured around the seven limbs of Hatha Yoga and the seven associated qualities or attainments, taken from Gheranda Samhita, a traditional text with much poetic insight into the overall goals of Hatha Yoga and how to reach them. These seven limbs are:
- Shatkarma, the cleansing practices for which the attainment is purification, Shodhanam.
- Asana, for which the attainment is firmness, Dridhata.
- Mudra and Bandha, for which the attainment is stillness, Sthairyam.
- Pratyahara, for which the attainment is patience, Dhairyam.
- Pranayama in which the attainment is lightness, Laghavam.
- Dhyana in which the attainment is acceptance and inner perception, Pratyaksham.
- Samadhi in which the attainment is non involvement of the mind, Nirliptam.
Essential Hatha Yoga
practices and concepts
As well as a close investigation of Gheranda Samhita and Hatha Yoga Pradipika, key concepts related to Hatha Yoga, including nadis, chakras, prana, and koshas, will be investigated in a practical way as tools for experiencing, balancing and enhancing the energetic aspects of living.
A Clear straightforward approach
Although the classic texts such as Gheranda Samhita and Hatha Yoga Pradipika go very deep into advanced practices, the themes and practices in this course are approached simply, and explained clearly in ways that are accessible for most potential participants.
- After completing this course you will have a toolkit to take with you throughout your yogic life.
- There will be an emphasis on why hatha yoga is an essential set of tools for any serious yoga practitioner.
- Everything is viewed through the prism of developing and perfecting a regular personal practice (sadhana)
- Hatha Yoga is presented as a systematic progression, working with body, breath, energy and mind, building an understanding of how this branch of yoga can be used to manage a full range of life situations, and be a foundation for all other branches of yoga.
Dimensions of Yoga: Hatha Yoga
Take up the Dimensions of Yoga challenge – deepen your personal practice and understanding of yoga. Transform your life.