“Yoga is an ancient system of philosophy, lifestyle and techniques, by which we evolve the whole person, the physical, the vitality, the mind and emotions, the wisdom and psychic qualities, our ethics and relationships, and the realisation of our spiritual reality.”
Swami Niranjanananda Saraswati
Our vision, our values
Yoga Sadhana, Yoga tradition
- The vision of Sharing and Learning Yoga is to make available the living yoga of the Satyananda tradition in a way that empowers the practitioner to develop their own sadhana (personal practice and lifestyle).
- Our goal is to provide participants with yoga tools and strategies that enable them to better manage life’s opportunities and challenges, stand on their own two feet, and lead fulfilled and resilient lives.
- Our belief is that true Yogic insight emerges through integration of the personal practice of yoga in one’s daily life. Personal understanding of the essence of yoga develops through this immersive journey.
- We encourage openness to learning, self-reflective curiosity, and taking personal responsibility.
- With the flowering of these skills, we encourage the development of a less self-orientated approach to life and a concern to relieve the suffering of others.
- Mutual respect is central to the Sharing and Learning Yoga approach.
About Sharing and Learning Yoga
Sharing and Learning Yoga is a completely independent social enterprise dedicated to making a systematic traditional approach to yoga available for those in need of it and for those who seek to develop yoga as part of their lifestyle.
Sharing and Learning Yoga develops and delivers courses and other resources such as books and films that support yoga practitioners develop their knowledge and practice.
The focus is sadhana, regular practice taken up over time with the aim of achieving positive and creative potential.
About the tradition and lineage
All yoga material presented in this site is inspired by the teachings of Swami Niranjanananda Saraswati and the lineage of sannyasin teachers who preceded him. This yoga is sometimes referred to as the Satyananda system of Yoga. It is an integrated system that offers a full range of practices and concepts, based solidly in classic yoga, as part of a dynamic living tradition.
About Swami Vimalratna
Swami Vimalratna is known internationally for his work as a yoga course developer, including the development of yogic studies and teacher training courses, and as complier of the book Yoga with Attitude. He has extensive experience as an educator and yoga teacher.
In 2016 he received his doctorate on the topic “How may cultural wisdom be understood and shared?” He brings these skills to this project, but more than this, the work emerges from 29 years of yoga practice, reflection and exploration.